Sunday, November 11, 2012

Vogue 8863 - Fabric Possibilities and Zipper

 A flattering cropped jacket 
I made this style in three fabrics for Vogue:
 
A textured purple wool with silk-screened grosgrain zipper trim
and purple double knit sleeves. 
 
A soft kiwi wool coating with checkered zipper trim
and deep grey rib knit sleeves.

A medium weight red wool coating with a jacquard zipper trim
and black double knit sleeves.

Choosing the perfect ribbon is as much fun
as choosing the knit for the sleeve.
Keep your eye out
for thrift shop sweaters in the right color or contrast
to use for the sleeves.
Gotta love that up-cycling.


Some great possibilities for the jacket body from  

available in Kiwi, Crimson or Pewter.

For the sleeves some options are:

gives you a choice of which side to use.
or black or black on black stripe.

So many wonderful possibilities.


For the zipper, remember you can always start with 
a longer separating zipper than you need and cut it down.

Make sure the zipper pull is at the bottom of the zipper.
 Mark the top of the zipper where you want it to end.
Cut the zipper 1/2" above that mark and trim off the unneeded teeth.
Stitch off the top of the new zipper to form a 'stop'.
Finish the 'stop' and cut edges with Fray Check.
Press the extra zipper tape to the back.


 Fuse your chosen ribbon to both sides of the zipper
and press ends to the back.
Then stitch ribbon to zipper close to the teeth.
I silk-screened grosgrain for this zipper trim.

Fuse zipper to front of jacket to hold for stitching.
Fusible tape shown here on the back.
I mark the placement on wool fabric 
with a wax 'chalker' line that will press out.

Stitch it in place on the left side of the jacket.
 
Apply trimmed zipper to the right side front
after the jacket front is finished.


I want to make this pattern in a denim type fabric 
with a wild print lining
for an upscale jean jacket.

One day...


7 comments:

  1. Well, Katherine, I guess I am just going to have to get this pattern now, love all your looks...

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all look fantastic...I'm ordering too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for these ideas. I'm already sold on exposed zips and the options you've suggested at eyecatching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this kiwi one. Another great pattern from the Tilton ladies. I will definitely make this one:) the zipper idea is fabulous. Kudos and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ordered it because I love it. Now I'm REALLY inspired. Thanks for all these great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been surfing online more than 3 hours these days, yet I by no means found any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is beautiful value enough for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the web will probably be a lot more useful than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing such a clever way to make a boring zipper fantastic!
    I love the new jacket pattern!

    ReplyDelete