Thursday, June 27, 2013

Five Easy Pieces

From Butterick 5925
(this one is easy, I promise).

For a week
I've been making interpretations of both versions 
of tops included in Butterick 5925.
I did eliminate the long pocket
on views C & D which makes the top 
really simple to sew and
I added 2" to the length
(because I'm tall and wanted it longer).

The first version 
in Ebony organic cotton/spandex knit
was very straightforward
(view A with B neckband)
until
I decided to discharge the fabric.

For the discharge design I used a new stencil
called  'Picket Fences'
that I picked up from Stencil Girl
at the Surface Design Association's Conference.

After I'd cut out the pattern pieces,
I applied Jacquard discharge paste
unevenly with a stencil brush.
Once dry, I also applied the heat from the iron
in an irregular manner --
hot and long in some places
short time and less heat in others --
so that the discharge areas have more visual interest.
I love that you never can tell exactly 
how the discharged areas are going to look.

I added some paint on top of the discharge
to give the design a bit more depth.
'Rich' is the word I'd use to describe it.

Then I found a bunch of wonderful stripes
First stripe version is
in Pirro rayon knit stripe,
a soft double-knit of grey and black
with wider stripes on one side
and narrower stripes on the other.

An added seam down the center front
with stripes on the diagonal,
(view A with B neckband)
creates a flattering look.

Another found bit of stash stripe,
(wrong side used around the neck and inside one pocket),
created a subtle design shift 
that keeps things interesting.


Top number three uses
Danny rayon knit stripe,
again cutting the fronts on the diagonal
to create cool chevrons
(view C/D no pockets).


Hem detail.

Top number four was cut out of
Augustus rayon knit stripes
(view C/D no pockets).


Can you tell how much I'm loving
those chevrons down the front?
This teal and grey combo
is exceptionally pretty.

And then there were five.
The last one was cut from
Paris Blue linen knit
(view A with B neckband)
which was lovely to sew with
and fairly floats on the body.

Because it is soft
it tends to stretch a bit when stitching
across the grain.
So be sure to 
stay-stitch the neck,
stabilize the shoulder seams
and use a walking foot (my preference)
or stay-stitch plus (Marcy's preference).
I also fused the hems in place
to add a bit more stability.


Happy stitching this Summer!







16 comments:

  1. Katherine - love.love.love these! You're an inspiration - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all gorgeous. I guess some of the longer ones would look great with leggings. All are so fab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! great looking pieces! Can the longer ones be worn as dresses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear them as a 'tunic' with cropped slim pants. When I was a lot younger I wore dresses that were that short but not these days!

      Delete
  4. Love love love these tops - especially the discharged one! :::drool:::

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these are beautiful. The length, along with the details from the seaming, work together to make these look modern and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all wonderful and could see them cut longer and worn as dresses. I have this pattern and cannot wait to make it.
    Thanks for all this inspiration!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, love the discharge. Would love to see some variations on B5881 (which I just finished and love)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh Hooray i am so happy to see these looking so wonderful! of course i have a little group of blues/lavenders prints i want to make up in a collage version, but i also couldn't help "seeing thru" the pattern envelope to longer tunics or even dresses as you've done here - i was contemplating using a handkerchief woven linen, then pleating it as Marcy shows over on her site, in the vee neck version. I'm also intrigued by the cardigan possibilities.....

    ....it's really lovely to see the 'bones' of these tops with very simple fabric choices. I feel that this pattern will be the basis for LOTS of variations, something i always love! Thank you and have a great day! steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Katherine, it's Mary Beth from StencilGirl. You sure make us look good!!! Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, K, the chevrons are pretty fantastic. Can you guess how much more fabric you used to create that look? I want to try it!
    I've made this pattern twice. It fits well and is very flattering. And it IS easy, plus you can use up
    your stash.
    So many great ideas here, the varied discharge with paint over it, chevrons, added length...thank you for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used 2 yards of fabric for all the shirts. (I might have been a bit generous cutting...).

      Delete
  11. Isn't it lovely to be inspired by an event, then carry it home and create? I love the discharge stenciling you did. And thanks for sharing that bit about more/less iron. Didn't think about how simple yet effective that is until I read it in your post. Brilliant! I still have the pot of discharge I bought at Sew Expo after seeing your super awesome discharged denim vest. I cut up a bunch of old jeans and will be discharging some legs and not others, then making up some furniture slip covers. I'll be blogging about it soon. :) But, that'll wait until I get some sun dresses made from the yummy linens I bought from you and Marci at sew expo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What are some alternate hem finishes for the top? Turning hem in one inch and then turning in 1/4 inch seems as if it would be hard to make a straight hem. And it's jersey--so why does it need to be turned under?
    Or would you just leave the cut edge and have no hem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I turn the raw edged hem under, usually at one inch, press in place, fuse with a 1/8" strip of lightweight fusible web and top stitch with a single or double needle. Since a t- shirt gets so much wear and hence so many washings I almost always turn under and stitch the hems in place.

      Delete