Thursday, February 21, 2013

Butterick Premiere

I'm excited to be now designing for Butterick!
Change is good
and keeps me on my toes.

My first designs can be viewed in the Butterick
It came out today
 and I'm loving the color and the feel of Spring!

 This piece can be worn alone as a sleeveless top
or as a vest over a t-shirt.
It conveniently layers over or under the shirt/jacket
for extra warmth and style.

 This fabric was reversible so I used both sides.
The circles on the back seam match beautifully don't they?
I love it when that happens!

A little paint brightens up basic black.
 Washed linen version in a juicy color.

I just made myself an iteration of the jacket/shirt in black washed linen.
I will layer it over t-shirts or tank tops
as things warm up.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Washed linen dress with asymmetrical hem
is layered with slits in the seaming.

Gathers nip the dress in at the waist
to create a flattering line.
Lace option adds a feminine touch.

I couldn't resist making this multicolored version
utilizing the washed linens in my stash.
Sometimes the amount of fabric on hand
helps make design decisions...

Butterick 5881


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's what I've been making lately:

Butterick 5891 front
Butterick 5891 back
Marcy scooped this one right up almost as soon as I finished it!
Washed linen was discharged before the piece was sewn
and I used large snaps for closure.

Butterick 5891
This version was made in a double weave black silk
with vintage Paris buttons.

Butterick 5891
A chic 'jean' jacket
stitched in crushed denim 
with buttons from Paris.
 
Butterick 5891
This double sided fabric lets me get playful
and offers many design possibilities.
I really have to concentrate when I'm cutting
so I get 'right' and 'wrong' sides where they belong.
More vintage French buttons.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Leaving early next week to go work with Marcy at the big Sew Expo 
in Puyallup Washington, February 28th - March 3d.
We have some fabulous new fabrics
so if you are coming to the Expo be sure to stop by booth 830.

AND come to our Vogue/Butterick Inspired Creatives Fashion Show,
Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 10:30AM.
 

Happy creating!
 




8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the deal with Butterick! I love both of these patterns. So many options, and your samples show so many creative ideas. I think I'm going to have to own 5891.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new patterns and your "play" with them...Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect your presence at Butterick will bring more creatives their way - here's to it being a win-win-win! :) LOVE your personal versions of the patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering about the shift to Butterick. I love the new vest/jacket pattern and your versions in this post are stunning and inspirational. A jean jacket - perfect. I will definitely be buying this one. Still thinking on the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pleased! I love the new patterns and am so clad I didn't cut into fabric yet for my summer wardrobe! It's a long way off yet for Wisconsinites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Katherine!!! Thank you thank you! I just left this comment on your sister's facebook page, here it is for you:

    "I squeaked with joy when i saw Katherine's new designs! Not only are they just plain covetable, they'll provide very practical garments for facing our 100F + summers in style :) The long sleeved view of the blouse pattern, made up in a tissue linen with elbow length sleeves, would make an excellent 'third layer' in our hot and sunny summers. Little tanks and cami tops are great inside and in the shade, but i need protection from the sun when i venture out. Pieces with the design lines and style 'oomph' of a jacket, but enough looseness so you don't suffocate, are few and far between. and - pockets! Brava Nandini!! steph"

    i've been bemoaning the lack of just these type of designs for years - now i'll have to stop whining and start sewing :) And love your personal examples, inspiration galore!
    Happy Friday, steph

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katherine! I'm especially thrilled with the top and jacket/shirt pattern... I was totally inspired with your personal versions and I just sorted and inventoried my linen stash and am going to do some experimenting with discharging some of it.








    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful designs! Can't wait to sew up the top. Best wishes for every success in this new venture!

    ReplyDelete