Thursday, February 28, 2013

My Sew Expo Wardrobe -- Four Days of Fashion

"What are you going to wear?"

Hand stitching on Vogue 8793

That is the question...
The question Marcy and I toss back and forth
before every trip or event.

For the Sew Expo at Puyallup I began by looking through my closet
to find favorite pieces made in the past year.
Then I stitched up some new pieces to enhance and fill in the gaps.
Inspired to sew and hit the 'refresh' button.

I'll be wearing black pants every day
and a new Butterick pant pattern to be released later this year. 
 (Pants are so hard to photograph well on a dress form --
you will just have to imagine them.)

I've been stitching up a plethora of t-shirts,
having a great time combining fabrics and sewing variations of Vogue 8793.
Many of them have twisted cowl neck treatments.
Must be the weather...
It was challenging to pick just four.

#1 Vogue 8793 with hand stitching

The stitching on #1 is too wonderful to cover up
with a vest or jacket. 
Nothing like some hand stitching
to create a perfectly contemplative evening.

#2 Love this Keith Haring fabric!
 #2 Vogue 8863 over Vogue 8793.
This Keith Haring cotton combined with William stripe
(and all my fabric) comes from Marcy's website.
Some are sold out but never fear
there's always more at marcytilton.com.

I'm not sure what day I will wear #2,
the wildest of my ensembles,
but I will be sure to have fun!
I added pieces around the lower edge of this t-shirt because
it needed more length and weight.

#3 Butterick vest 5891 over Vogue 8793.
#3 Detail of twisted cowl neck on Vogue 8793.

The marvelous digital print fabric used in this t-shirt
from Marcy's website is sold out (sorry).
The piece I used had a 'flaw'
(note the white line and collar contrast)
which made me very happy and gave me some creative design options.

#4 Another version of Vogue 8793 in dots and stripes.
#4 Vogue 8863 over Vogue 8793.

I know, I know. I'm wearing the same jacket twice.
I just love it so much! 

This great reversible denim-with-a-dot fabric is going to Puyallup with us.
If there's any left it will go up on Marcy's website.
Sews like a dream.

I made the jacket from Vogue 8863 with no lining and no lower sleeve.
Different t-shirt parts peeking out at the neck, sleeve and hem 
provide variety and change the look.

Collar detail of Vogue 8863.
Snap tape replaces the zipper 
and adds design detail.



If you are attending the Sew Expo please stop by Booth 830
and check out our beautiful fabric collection!
Plus you can see what I'm wearing in person.
Be sure to attend our Fashion Show on the Vogue and Butterick
Creative Closet every morning at 10:30AM.
It is sure to be inspiring and fun.
The show includes pieces by Koos van den Akker and Sandra Betzina
as well as Marcy and me.

Marcy has blogged about her Expo wardrobe too!

Happy stitching.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, what a fabulous wardrobe, Katherine! So sorry I won't see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine, I totally love #1. I picked up some of this fabric in Santa Barbara, and now must get the companion fabric. Thanks for the ideas - I love handwork, and you've given me the push to incorporate some into your t-shirts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for posting this. I feel so inspired seeing all these ensembles come together with your wonderful style. And I love the hand-stitching detail.

    Do tell the pants fabric you're using. Great patterns. I think I have them all though the Butterick top hasn't arrived yet from ClubBMV.

    Keep posting, please. It is such a pleasure to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You clothing choices and styles are Yum - as always.

    Just got your newest patterns for Butterick in the mail today. I can't wait to make both but wondering of you could tell me if 5891 (blouse/jacket) armholes are cut low like a vest, or high like a blouse? The photos on the envelope look as if they are cut high but you refer to it as a vest - which would mean a lower cut so it could be worn over something.

    Thanks - have a great time in Puyallup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love everything you've made for the expo. I have your newest patterns, and can't wait to make that vest for a trip this spring. It's going to be a perfect layer. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry couldn't see them in person. I'm looking forward to making both your new Butterick patterns.
    Leslie B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katherine, can you please tell us how you did the twisted cowl neck on Vogue 8793?

    ReplyDelete